
Zamalek are preparing a FIFA complaint against Brazilian winger Juan Bezerra over his continued absence, as their dispute escalates.
The club’s board decided to take the matter to world football’s governing body, internal documents show. Zamalek have assembled a legal file containing the player’s contract, correspondence and documents related to his absence. Club officials have also reviewed the agreement to support their position before FIFA.
Bezerra has not returned to Cairo since the end of last season. He missed Zamalek’s pre-season preparations and their 1-1 opening-day draw with Ittihad of Alexandria.
The White Knights maintain that the 23-year-old remains under contract for another three seasons, and that he cannot leave or join another club without their approval.
The complaint would rely on FIFA’s rules governing unilateral breaches of contract. A player found to have terminated an agreement without just cause during its protected period could face compensation and a four-month ban from official matches. FIFA may extend the suspension to six months in aggravating circumstances.
As KingFut previously reported, the dispute became public after Bezerra accused the board of breaking an agreement over his departure.
The Brazilian said the Cairo giants had repeatedly promised him and his father that the club would sell him at an agreed price. He argued that the board changed its position after receiving an offer that could have produced the largest sale in the club’s history.
Zamalek denied making that promise. The club then announced that it had closed the door on his departure and would not consider further offers while he remained absent from training. Correspondence then showed that UAE side Shabab Al Ahli initially approached Zamalek on July 28.
Zamalek responded by requesting $6 million upfront, up to $1 million in performance-related bonuses and a 20% share of any future transfer fee. The conditions also included a right of first refusal if Bezerra later returned to Egypt.
The Emirati club replied with an offer worth $4 million plus bonuses of up to $1 million. Zamalek rejected that proposal and ended negotiations.
Head coach Motamed Gamal also declined to discuss the winger after the draw with Ittihad. “I only talk about the players who are present,” he said after the Premier League opener.
Zamalek signed Juan Bezerra from Ukrainian club Oleksandriya in 2025. He has since made 44 appearances, scoring eight goals and providing 12 assists.